Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 Review
Last updated on: 2020-01-29
#4 Rated in Category: Best Coffee Maker
The Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 is impressive, that’s hard to argue. It delivers with its beautiful aesthetic and streamlined design, and it’ll look fantastic on your kitchen counter. However, everything’s not just about looks.
When you spend $300 on a coffee machine because you’d like to have a more luxurious coffee brewing experience, you’re going to expect coffee to taste, at a bare minimum, just as good as coffee from a drip coffee maker, and at most, like the best thing you’ve ever tasted.
Consumers opinion: The Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 earns an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 from more than 840 Reviews on Amazon.
Here’s the thing: everyone deserves a splurge every once in a while. Coffee lovers know this better than anyone.
Everyone loves that feeling you get when you open up a bag of new, pricier beans that you normally wouldn’t buy and you take a long, deep whiff.
However, a lot of us might have a hard time justifying the $300 price tag attached to the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 because this machine is a bit more than a treat.
This machine is more than a treat because it’s a true upgrade for the way that you think about coffee and how it should be brewed. The Technivorm Moccamaster offers a coffee maker that brews efficiently and doesn’t sacrifice a thing with style. It offers delicious coffee with a sleek, stainless steel design, while only weighing in at around 4.8 pounds.
While the Technivorm Moccamaster, SCA approved, is nice to look at and even dazzles us with a bubbly brewing process that we’ll get into later, let’s dive into what to expect when you use a luxury coffee maker like this one.
First, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that the Technivorm Moccamaster is pretty lightweight compared to a lot of bulkier drip coffee makers. Its only four pounds but it is tall, so you’ll want to find a convenient space for it on your counter.
You’ll slip in your cone-shaped paper filter and then you’ll screw on the stainless-steel carafe’s lid, which the machine brews right through.
The lid does a great job of staying in place whether you’re removing the carafe from the burner or pouring it into a mug. The consideration that was taken into ensuring that this was a low mess device is one of the most appealing parts of the machine.
The Technivorm Moccamaster’s brewing process is as interesting as it is efficient. Even without the added visual perk of watching the machine’s water tank expand with bubbles as you brew your coffee, it has an impressive brewing process.
It has a copper heating coil inside that can quickly get the brewer to about two hundred degrees, and when the coffee has finished its six-minute brewing cycle, it shuts itself off. Its imperative that the Technivorm Moccamaster gets to 200 degrees as anywhere from 195 to 295 degrees is the perfect temperature for coffee to be saturated at so that all of the flavors and aromas can be properly extracted.
This luxury device also appreciates the process required for coffee to properly bloom. The cone-shaped filter, high temperatures, and six-minute brewing time allow almost any coffee that you can buy to flourish.
You’re unlikely to be disappointed by the taste of any coffee that you brew in the Technivorm Moccamaster, but you’re going to find that your more expensive beans are going to taste three times better when you brew them with this machine.
The Technivorm Moccamaster deserves a coffee blend that’s worth its expert brewing process. You’ll find that when you use cheap, grocery store beans or pre-ground coffee in this machine, that it’s not going to taste as good as it should.
You might not get the full range of flavors and aromas that you’re supposed to get from the coffee, and it might even be a bit gritty. However, when you deliver a high-quality, luxury blend of coffee to the Technivorm, it will thank you with one of the best cups of coffee that you’ve ever had.
When you use a high-quality coffee blend, you’ll be able to taste all of the complex flavors in your coffee as well as some of the subtle flavors that you might not have been able to taste when you were using your less expensive coffee maker.
Lastly, keep in mind that the Technivorm Moccamaster’s delicious coffee is almost guaranteed because the machine almost hits the perfect temperature for brewing coffee. The ideal temperature for coffee to be brewed at is around 195 and 205 degrees, and you can be certain that your coffee will not reach its full potential if your machine’s heating element doesn’t fall in that window.
The cleaning process is super easy (the machine comes apart very easy) – especially the chromed hot water tube that goes to the filter and coffee.
The attractive and impressive design of the Technivorm Moccamaster is definitely enough to draw you in if you’re looking to upgrade your at-home coffee maker.
Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 has plenty of features that will make you want to consider this investment. Let’s break down some of the specs that you can expect to see when you receive a Technivorm Moccamaster:
- It’s easy to clean – the stainless-steel carafe of the Technivorm Moccamaster takes pretty well to hand cleaning which is always a perk when you just need to get your carafe cleaned and ready to brew in the early hours.
- It’s designed for a little to no mess experience. Some coffee makers make life a bit harder when you’re trying to fill the reservoir or clean the carafe. There’s nothing worse than having water spilled all over your counter because you couldn’t angle the carafe just right or the opening was too narrow. The Technivorm Moccamaster. The lid on the reservoir comes off easily and the opening provides more than enough space to fill it to capacity.
- It can make 10 cups of coffee.
- Its equipped with a solid white switch near the carafe portion of the machine that is pressed back to let you know that the carafe is safely secured.
- It’s 4.8 pounds, 15.5 inches tall, and 6 inches deep.
- It brews coffee at 200 degrees.
- It uses #4 cone shaped features.
- The plastic parts of the machine are made with BPA free materials.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
Even though the price is a part of its allure as we expect it to be better than average at $300, the price is a downside. For $300, the lower end coffees should taste better than normal, and shouldn’t taste at all gritty.
The Technivorm-Moccamaster factory is centrally located in the heart of the Netherlands, where every machine is assembled by hand.
In 1968 Technivorm began developing a coffee maker for the fast-filter and normal method. One year after the award of international patents, this appliance came onto the market.
Various other models followed in quick succession; originally for household use only, but later in 1983, coffee makers for the professional market were launched.
|Model||Moccamaster KBT 741|
|Brewing Time||4-6 Mins|
|Cup Capacity||40oz/ 10 Cups/ 1.25L|
|Dimensions H x W x D (in.)||7.1 x 12.2 x 15.4 inches|
|Item Weight (lbs.)||6.5 pounds|
|Color||Polished Silver, Black, Stone Grey|
PROS & CONS
While the Moccamaster seems like a coffee lover’s dream, we’d be dreaming to think that this expensive machine is flawless. There are a few drawbacks to this high-end device, and if you’re thinking about investing that hefty $309 into this machine, you’re going to want to take a look at these:
- It makes great-tasting coffee, at the correct temperature
- Simple to operate and quiet brewing process that brews a full carafe in just 4 to 6 minutes
- Manual-adjust drip-stop brew-basket with stainless steel thermal carafe
- Designed & Assembled in the Netherlands
- The cleaning process is super easy
- Functional and stylish
- A bit pricey
- It’s pretty tall, so you might have a hard time situating it. Luckily, its lightweight, so doing a dance around the kitchen while you try to figure out how to situate it won’t be too bad.
- You can’t put the stainless-steel carafe in the dishwasher, or you’ll risk ruining it.
- It doesn’t come with some of the extras that we’ve come to expect in coffee makers. The Technivorm Moccmaster needs to do a better job of justifying the hefty price tag as it doesn’t come with a timer, LED screen, or even multiple buttons to operate the machine.
- Some customers complained that the plastic parts wore down after multiple washes, and its normal to expect some longevity out of a coffee maker that cost as much as this one.
- It doesn’t come with a water filter.
GETTING TO KNOW THE CONTROL PANEL
In terms of functionality, you can rely on this machine to give you an above average or good cup of coffee. With that said, you can get a good cup of coffee from machines that cost a fraction of what this one is currently retailing for.
When you factor in that some of the parts are better off being hand-washed, the considerable amount of counter space that it requires, and the lack of fixtures like clocks or screens, you’re probably more likely to move away from the Technivorm and pick up one of those cheaper coffee makers.
To be fair, this machine isn’t for the fresh out of college kid that needs a cup of coffee before they pound the pavement in search of work. It is for true coffee aficionados that don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to enjoy their favorite high-end blend from their very own luxury coffee maker.
In Coffee Corner, I write about all things related to coffee and particularly coffee makers.
After being a self-admitted coffee addict for 20 years and as an experienced barista I would consider myself pretty well-versed on the subject. I will try to provide you as much information as possible about coffee makers and coffee in general, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Last update on 2020-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API