BUNN BX Velocity Brew Review
Last updated on: 2019-10-16
#4 Rated in Category: Best Coffee Maker
The Bunn Velocity Brew BT does a fantastic job of offering up all the essentials that a java lover needs and skimming the fat so that you’re not bogged down with features that you’re less than crazy about.
The Bunn Velocity Brew is impressive in its brew time and no-nonsense setup. However, we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention the main event – how does a cup of coffee taste when its made in this beauty?
Consumers opinion: The Bunn Velocity Brew BT earns an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 from more than 1,585 Reviews on Amazon.
A lot of us probably grew up with one of those old coffee makers that don’t offer anything in terms of looks but you could count on it to reliably do one thing: brew a cup of coffee. The coffee that it brewed wasn’t necessarily the best coffee that you’ve ever had, and it wasn’t the worst, but it got the job done.
The Bunn Velocity Brew BT brings some of the old school charms back into brewing coffee in the form of a machine that doesn’t offer anything in the looks department. It’s got kind of an oblong shape, it doesn’t offer a clock or additional knick-knacks.
That’s because the Bunn Velocity Brew BT focuses on the main event: the coffee. Despite its unenthusiastic design, it can still create a delicious cup of coffee in a little under 4 minutes.
It has the operating power that’s usually assumed of higher end, fancier looking coffee brewers but it’s more likely that the Bunn Velocity Brew BT outperforms a lot of the flashier models that we see in stores.
Open up the box
Let’s get into what you can expect from the Bunn Velocity Brew BT when you pull it out of the box. It’s a larger machine, definitely not what you’d expect if you’re more used to a Mr. Coffee or smaller brewer that sits on your countertop.
You could argue that the bulk of the Bunn’s design is pretty modest, it will take up a considerable amount of counter space.
The performance of the Bunn Velocity Brew BT is pretty no frills, which is perfect for a no-frills kind of person. You’ll fill up the water reservoir, plug the machine in, put in a Bunn paper filter and hit the only switch on the machine. The brewer will provide a full pot of coffee in a little under 4 minutes.
Additionally, the machine is pretty forgiving when it comes down to getting the coffee ratio correct. There are some machines that will provide the perfect cup of coffee if you get the ratio right, and these same machines could give you a cup of coffee that’s too strong or lacking in flavor if you mix up your measurements by a tablespoon or so. This machine only asks for about one to two tablespoons of coffee per cup, which should yield a good cup of coffee every time.
Another perk of the Bunn Velocity Brew’s brewing ability is that this machine knows how to get hot. As it brews your coffee, the machine shoots to 195.7 degrees Fahrenheit in around a minute or so. The inability to get scorching hot can ruin the potential of a perfectly good coffee maker, some models of the Keurig have struggled to hit that scorching hot temperature in the past so that there could be an emphasis on design and convenience.
However, your favorite coffee blend is meant to be enjoyed after it’s been brewed at that high sweet spot. Keep in mind that the best temperature to brew coffee at is between 195 degrees and 205 degrees, so the Bun Velocity Brew gets high marks in this category!
Lastly, not only does the Bunn Velocity Brew prepare a perfect cup of flavorful coffee in under 4 minutes, you can rely on the brewer to be ready for you to come back for more for hours afterward. This brewer might be a perfect companion for an office kitchen- its simple albeit clunky design might appear to your superiors while the actual blew keeps things all business. Besides, who wouldn’t want to enjoy piping hot coffee in between being hunched over spreadsheets and counting the hours until the weekend?
The Bunn Velocity Brew is already ahead of the curve since it brews coffee at that near perfect temperature of 195.7 degrees Fahrenheit (a pretty good place to land since the hottest temperature you’ll ever want your coffee to brew at 205 degrees Fahrenheit).
This brewer can hold its own with a diverse array of coffee. You’ll be able to taste the subtle notes of chocolate in your favorite dark and medium blends, or the juicy notes in some of your African or South American blends.
This emphasis on bringing out the subtlest flavors of your coffee, the efficient brew time, and the easy to clean parts are the features that coffee lovers can look forward to, especially when they’re confronted with a few of the Bunn Velocity Brew’s flaws.
Emptying out the tank that easies also cleaning the tank isn’t fun either. Both are much more time consuming than cleaning a standard coffee pot. Needs frequent cleaning – the machine catches anything and everything from your water, the best way is to use purified water.
Designed & Assembled in the U.S.A.! The Bunn Velocity Brew BT has a round silver tank and is offered in Black and White.
- It’s about 15 inches tall, 7 inches wide, and 13 inches deep.
- This might not fit underneath a cabinet easily, it might need it’s on space on the counter, maybe near the sink.
- It will brew a delicious cup of coffee in less than four minutes.
- It uses flat-bottomed, Bunn paper filters.
- The swivel lid on the carafe allows for a clean pour.
- It comes with a spacious water tank that can hold up to 20 cups of water (100 oz).
- Its equipped with a vacuum-insulated thermal carafe.
- The bulk of the machine weighs around 10 pounds.
- The Bunn Velocity Brew doesn’t come with any fancy hardware – it has a single button on the machine that turns it on and off.
- Keeps the water in the reservoir preheated so that it can brew a pot of coffee faster than a lot of its competitors.
- You can put the stainless-steel carafe in the dishwasher.
The brewer doesn’t come with an automatic timer, a clock, an LED screen, or additional buttons. It’s possible that we’ve been spoiled by competitor’s machines that offer all of these to us, but for the price of $130, it seems that it should come with a few fixtures that make it feel like you’re using a deluxe coffee maker.
Bunn-O-Matic Corporation is a manufacturer of dispensed beverage equipment – coffee and tea. The company was founded in 1957 by George R. Bunn Jr., who invented the flat-bottom fluted coffee filter and the pour-over drip coffee brewer. The company is still privately-held and family-owned with the present CEO – Arthur H. Bunn.
|Model||BX Velocity Brew|
|Dimensions H x W x D (in.)||15.5 x 8.8 x 14.6 inches|
|Item Weight (lbs.)||8 pounds|
PROS & CONS
We haven’t found a perfect coffee machine yet and the Bunn Velocity Brew is no exception. For all of its perks, it still has a few flaws that you’ll want to keep in mind before you hit the stores in search of one:
- Pour-o-matic drip-free glass carafe
- Brew 10 cups in approximately 3-4 minutes
- Stainless steel internal hot water tank keeps water constantly heated to the optimal temperature
- Runs quietly
- Designed & Assembled in the U.S.A. to North American Electrical Standards
- Durable and Long-lasting
- Bunn offers and recommends that you use their filters with this machine, but some customers have reported that the filters aren’t quite the right fit in their machine. Fortunately, regular filters seem to work as well.
- This machine takes up a lot of counter space – a lot of coffee makers are going for a streamlined, sleek look like Nescafe’s Dolce Gusto. You might have a hard time fitting this underneath your cabinets, especially if you live in a smaller space like an apartment.
- The plastic odor in the machine has been a consistent complaint among buyers, however, some customers reported that the smell did disappear once they’d the Bunn Velocity Brew for a few months.
- It does not come with a measuring scoop.
GETTING TO KNOW THE CONTROL PANEL
We could firmly envision the Bunn Velocity Brew in a busy office or in a home with one or more serious coffee drinkers. This machine is a no-nonsense, serious coffee brewer that needs a user to match it.
We’ve been convinced that we need coffee makers to do five other things in addition to brewing a pot of strong, flavorful coffee and the Bunn Velocity Brew BT is a great way to get back to basics because it prioritizes the most important aspects of coffee making:
- The ideal brewing temperature. No one wants a coffee maker that doesn’t know how to get piping hot before it starts to brew.
- Although the water is piping hot, and the machine brews coffee fast in comparison to some of its competitors, it never sacrifices flavor. A lot of other machines will offer you the triangle of it can be fast and made at the ideal brewing temperature, but it might taste burnt or severely lack in flavor or it might make a delicious cup of coffee but take way too long to brew during your morning cycle.
- This machine can brew a full pot of coffee (up to 52 ounces) in less than 4 minutes, this is perfect for when you’re still throwing all your breakfast essentials together before a busy day of work or if you need to have a pot of coffee ready for your office staff.
In Coffee Corner, I write about all things related to coffee and particularly coffee makers.
After being a self-admitted coffee addict for 20 years and as an experienced barista I would consider myself pretty well-versed on the subject. I will try to provide you as much information as possible about coffee makers and coffee in general, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Last update on 2019-10-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API