Bonavita BV1900TS Review
Last updated on: 2021-06-27
#2 Rated in Category: Best Coffee Maker
The Bonavita BV1900TS is a stripped-down shot at coffee brewing luxury. With its presoaking option and simplistic design (no timer, no additional buttons, no LED screens) it has prioritized the main event – a fantastic tasting cup of coffee.
The low price point in comparison to its high-end competitors and a badge of approval from the Special Coffee Association of America (SCAA) puts this incredible machine in 2nd position in our list of the best coffee makers.
Consumers opinion: The Bonavita BV1900TS earns an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 from more than 5,607 Reviews on Amazon.
Are you in the market for a new brewer? We took a look at the Bonavita BV1900TS so that you don’t have to. However, if you wanted to take a look at this coffee maker for yourself, it retails for around $120 right now, which is a huge bargain for a luxury coffee maker.
With its compact, user-friendly design, Bonavita is promising that you’ll enjoy a perfect cup of coffee brewed at 195-200 degrees. This machine also comes with a pre-soaking option, which can help with degassing your favorite coffee blends before you brew an entire pot.
The Bonavita BV1900TS can be an ideal option for the individual looking to upgrade from their middle-grade coffee maker or even higher end brands like Keurig. It’s simple, clean, and fast.
Read on for a breakdown of the Bonavita BV1900TS.
So, time for the most exciting part of our review of the Bonavita BV.
How does it work?
Does it hold up to all of its promises once you actually pull it out of the box?
Well, the Bonavita BV brews coffee that is the same quality as a few other pricey coffee makers but offers simplicity at every turn. The machine doesn’t have an extensive startup time, you simply press the button and fill up the water reserve.
The Bonavita BV also impresses with how fast you’ll have a pot of coffee waiting for you and your guests. It takes about six minutes for it to brew a full pot, however, if you’re going to be having coffee alone or you just need to get a cup of coffee to put into your thermos, you’ll be pleased to know that you can brew cycles that are as small as 5 0z (or one cup according to Bonavita’s cup sizes).
The Bonavita BV has some competitors like the more expensive Oxo Barista Brain 9-cup Brewing System (which retails for around $300) and while it comes with perks like a separate water kettle, it takes about fifteen minutes to get the Oxo Barista going, which isn’t ideal for those super busy mornings.
It’s a quieter machine. Some coffee machines make a lot of noise while you wait for the coffee to pour into the pot, but the Bonavita only alerts of you its presence with a blinking light on the only button on the machine.
You can also use its pre-infuse option, which lightly coats your grounds with water before you actually brew the coffee. You can utilize this function by holding the single black button on the machine down for about five seconds. If you’ve never heard of pre-infusing until now, Bonavita believes that you can get rid of some of the bitter notes in your coffee and help enhance the subtle ones (cocoa, fruity, nutty, etc) by doing that initial pre-soak.
Once you have your cup of coffee, the Bonavita keeps up its promise of simplicity because the carafe lid, showerhead, and filter basket is dishwasher safe.
When the coffee is being brewed between 195 degrees to 200 degrees, the optimal coffee brewing temperature according to the SCAA (Special Coffee Association of America), you can expect it to take as close to perfect as you can get a pot of coffee.
With the Bonavita’s presoaking option, the machine is committed to letting each coffee blend shine with its subtle notes and aromas. Additionally, once you brew your favorite or toughest blend, the stainless-steel carafe will keep your coffee warm for about 3 or 4 hours.
The Bonavita BV1900TS is just as simple to clean as it is to use. There is a lip on the inside of the carafe that makes it a little bit difficult to clean.
Proper care will ensure years of service from this coffee brewer. Aside from keeping the brewer clean and descaling when necessary, there is no user maintenance required.
If you use your coffee carafe to fill the water tank, you may introduce coffee residue into the water tank, which may lead to coffee oil buildup. If filling with your carafe, Bonavita recommends cleaning with Full Circle coffee machine cleaning powder once a month.
DOWNLOAD BONAVITA BV1900TS 8-CUP | STAINLESS STEEL CARAFE USER GUIDE/MANUAL
So, at first glance, the Bonavita BV is appealing because of its small size and lack of extra buttons on the machine. The machine strives for simplicity and practicality, so the basic design of the brewer is pretty straightforward.
- It’s 11.5 inches by 10 inches wide and 6.75 inches deep.
- It will fit easily underneath any cabinet, which is great if you’re hoping to replace a bulkier brewer.
- It brews in around 6 minutes which is great for those fast-paced mornings.
- Uses a flat bottom filter in an effort to get more grounds covered by the showerhead.
- All of the plastic parts of the brewer are BPA free.
- Simple design; has a single button that controls all of the functions of the machine.
- It comes with a stainless-steel carafe.
- The Bonavita BV comes with a wide showerhead that’s supposed to help making sure that more of the grounds are soaked for optimal extraction.
- There are a few parts, so its easy to clean.
The Bonavita BV1900TS feels like it is offering up a lot of luxury for the low price of $140. The low price point in comparison to its high-end competitors and a badge of approval from the Special Coffee Association of America (SCAA).
|Dimensions H x W x D (in.)||12.4 x 6.8 x 12.2 inches|
|Item Weight (lbs.)||6.13 pounds|
|Dishwasher Safe||Yes (upper rack)|
PROS & CONS
- Performance coffee brewer makes an 8-cup carafe in about 6 minutes
- It’s a simple unit with only 1 button
- Runs very quietly
- Very easy to use and maintain
- One-touch brewing for ease of use
- Showerhead design facilitates even saturation of coffee grounds
- SCAA certified
- Some customers complained that it’s difficult to get the last bit of coffee out of the stainless steel thermal carafe, especially since the lid has a button that you push down in order to pour the coffee. Some customers did feel that a simple swivel lid would have kept in line with the simple design that Bonavita was going for.
- The glass thermal coffee carafe could be the answer to the irritation that some customers have with the lid but the machine only comes with one or the other.
- The Bonavita promises to brew your coffee between 195 degrees and 200 degrees Fahrenheit in order to get the best quality coffee. However, there were customers that felt that it falls just shy of that, especially if you’re trying to move away from a coffee brewing process like a French Press or a Keurig brewer.
- The small cup size (Bonavita considers a cup of coffee to be 5 oz, whereas 8 oz is more common across the board) was frustrating for some because you can only make 40 oz worth of coffee.
GETTING TO KNOW THE CONTROL PANEL
Despite some of its smaller flaws like the push button on the stainless steel thermal carafe and the absence of a timer or other perks, it’s still a great option at the right price for someone that’s looking to elevate their coffee making or to have a no-frills coffee maker on hand for early mornings and lunches with friends.
Be the first to leave a review.
Last update on 2021-06-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API